Watercolors Non-Peel Off Polish Valentine
For those who want an alternative to solvent-based nail enamel, we've got the solution for you! Our unique water-based polish is totally odor-free! No more nasty fumes. But perhaps best of all, there's also no need for toxic smelly nail polish remover - this product removes with rubbing alcohol, vodka/grain alcohol or our new Odorless Polish Remover! Thanks to our new patented technology, there's nothing else like it on the market!
non-toxic earth-friendly formula
long wearing fabulous colors
Contains NO:FD&C colors, toluene, dibutyl phthalate, xylene, or formaldehyde
Comes in 21 great colors to match our Truly Natural Lipsticks:Shiny Penny, Camelot, Romance, Risque, Desire, Vintage Merlot, San Francisco, Hippie Chick, Valentine, Mocha Latte, Goddess, Tuscany, Cherokee, Burlesque, Fairy Dust, Whisper (sheer), Serenity (sheer), Destiny, Manhattan, Nude Beach and Clear
What makes this product different from traditional polish
You already know it's water-based, it's odor-free and has no formaldehyde, toluene, dibutyl phthalates or FD& C colors. But let's take that a step further. Without getting too technical, let's explore the fundamental differences between solvent-based and water-based systems. Solvent- based polishes are simple solutions of nitrocellulose resins in strong solvents. Nitrocellulose is used because it forms a very hard film easily as the solvents evaporate from the base. These harsh, bad-smelling solvents, are then also used to remove the polish by dissolving the film. By contrast, water-based polish uses an emulsion resin in the form of billions of very small particles suspended in water. As the water evaporates, the particles touch each other and form a hard film which is no longer soluble in water. At first, it may seem that these systems are similar, the only difference being the carrier base. But they are in fact as different as night and day. One cures by reversible solvent evaporation, the other by creating a tightly knit film. One is easily dissolved, the other not so easily. Several states are beginning to regulate VOCs (volatile organic compounds) emitted by nail polishes and nail polish removers. WaterColors Nail Enamel has very low VOCs.
You'll notice the Clear Base/ Top Coat polish actually appears milky white in the bottle. The milkiness disappears upon drying to form a clear coat. Sometimes minor settling occurs in some colors, and you may notice a light ring of color at the top of the bottle, or some sparkle floating to the bottom. We have shaker beads inside, so a light shake of the polish easily re-disperses the pigment.
Solvent-based polishes can strip healthy nails of naturally produced oils. Since our polish does not contain these solvents, the oils remain on the nail. Wash and dry hands thoroughly before applying polish. Those with very dry skin may wish to apply a cuticle oil to nails first before applying polish to help hydrate the nail. Make sure the oil is absorbed into the nail before polishing.
Dries to a tack-free state nearly as fast as regular polish. Two thin coats will dry faster than one thick. Cold hands, low temperatures and high humidity can prolong drying time. Water resistant in about 15 minutes. Able to withstand other chemicals (shampooing, doing dishes) after about an hour. For best results, polish nails at the end of the day so they have overnight to cure properly.
You may find this product is a bit more difficult to remove from toe nails, because toe nails are naturally more dry and have less natural oils.
Unlike solvent-based polishes which reach their maximum hardness in about 40 minutes, WaterColors Nail Enamel must be given time to create a tough film. About 75% of the hardness is achieved very quickly, but it needs 4-6 hours to achieve maximum hardness. The more time you give it to cure properly, the longer it will wear. You may choose to apply it at night when the day's activities are done. However, because the film is quite thin, worn areas at the tips or scratches can be easily touched up to create a freshly-applied appearance.
Ease of removal
The film that is formed by the water-based system becomes more difficult to dissolve as time passes. For this reason, we recommend you remove the polish at or before one week of wear the first time you use our polish. Apply Odorless Polish Remover to the cotton ball or Honeybee Gardens felt pad. Hold the wetted pad on the nail for a few seconds, and then proceed to rub the polish off while applying gentle pressure. Do not scrape at the nail. It may take a few swipes longer than you're used to, but the product will come off. People with dry, ridgy or porous nails may need to work at it a bit longer. Acetone-based removers will not work because this is not a solvent-based system. Wash hands with soap and water thoroughly after removal. If you have naturally dry skin, you may also want to use a moisturizer.
Tips and tricks
While WaterColors Nail Enamel may look and act like traditional solvent-based polish, it does have its eccentricities. Most of our customers tell us they would rather have to do an extra step if necessary rather than use polishes which contain potentially toxic ingredients. Here are some special instances and ideas which can help you create the perfect manicure.
- Dry Nails
We've found that individuals with dry skin and dry nails tend to have a more difficult time removing our polish. For those folks, we recommend moisturizing the nails first before applying polish. Rub a little cuticle oil (or any good oil like jojoba, sweet almond, olive, etc.) into nails until the shininess disappears and the oil is absorbed into the nail. Then polish the nails as usual. You may want to remove the polish after one week of wear. Moisturize after removing polish.
- Cold Temperatures
Since our polish is water-based, it can thicken in cold temperatures. We recommend storing our polish at normal room temperature. If polish does thicken, add ONE drop of water to bottle and shake well. This should return the polish to normal consistency. If it does not, the polish had been too cold for too long and needs to be replaced.
- Length of Wear
It's rare we ever hear that our polish doesn't last long enough. However, if you find the polish isn't wearing as long as expected, the problem probably comes back to application. We recommend that you try to polish your nails at night if possible. Though our polish is tack free in no time, it takes longer to cure at the molecular level than traditional polish. So the longer you give it to set up without exposure to water, etc., the better it will wear. That being said, everyone wears polish differently. How long the polish lasts on you also depends on your body chemistry, daily activities and environmental exposure. Applying a clear top coat can extend the wear of polish. We also recommend a base clear coat under our darker colors such as Vintage Merlot, Risque and Desire.
The film that is formed by the water-based system becomes more difficult to dissolve as time passes. For this reason, we recommend you remove the polish at or before one week of wear the first time you use our polish. Apply Honeybee Gardens Odorless Remover to a cotton ball or remover pad. Hold the wetted cotton ball on the nail for a few seconds, and then proceed to rub the polish off while applying gentle pressure. Do not scrape at the nail. It may take a few swipes longer than you're used to, but the product will come off. People with dry, ridgy or porous nails may need to work at it a bit longer. Acetone-based removers will not work because this is not a solvent-based system. Wash hands with soap and water thoroughly after removal. If you have naturally dry skin, you may also want to use a moisturizer. Some customers have told us they have success applying our remover to a piece of white craft felt or even an old white gym sock (turned inside out) and then using it to remove the polish. The added texture from these items helps to hold the remover on the surface of the nail better and acts as a gentle exfoliant to better remove the polish.