Miradent Xylitol Chewing Gum Assorted Flavors is a dental care chewing gum with 100 % xylitol. The six flavors include spearmint, cinnamon, green tea, fresh fruit, cranberry and peppermint. Miradent Xylitol Chewing Gum helps reduce plaque-forming bacteria and plaque debris. It also helps remineralize tooth enamel and increases salivation, so it is ideal for dry mouth relief. Dispenser box of 200 / 2 piece packs is great for homes and businesses!
- Increases the production of saliva (dry mouth)
- Reduction of plaque deposits
- Reduction of plaque and acid-forming bacteria
- Remineralization of tooth enamel
- Reduction of "caries transmission" from mother to child
Discovered by Nobel Prize winner Emil Fischer around 1900, Xylitol began to be used in foods since the 1960's and has been used widely as a popular sweetener in diabetic diets (minimal effect - glycemic index of 7 - slow, steady release of energy balances blood sugar and insulin levels). More than 48 studies worldwide have been conducted on Xylitol (Carried out partially under the auspice of the World Health Organization (WHO)).
Xylitol is a sugar that does not promote the development of dental caries, unlike frequent between meal consumption of other foods high in sugars and starches that can promote dental caries.
The Benefits of Xylitol - The Ingredient:
- Has an active anti-caries/cariostatic effect by reducing plaque forming bacteria. This is a result of lowering the plaque index (reduces the adhesivity at the macro molecular level and reducing the acidogenicity of plaque with Xylitol's (neutral 7.0 PH levels)). As part of the process, Xylitol stimulates the production or saliva; thereby helping to control dental plaque and mutans streptococci.
- Inhibits plaque formation, [plaque is a biofilm that allows bacteria to adhere to tooth enamel, as well as other pathogenic organisms that can ultimately result in periodontal disease.
The Use of Xylitol in Children - Under Age 12:
Can have particularly long term positive effect on oral well being.
- Children's acceptance & daily compliance of chewing of Xylitol is excellent due to its ease-of-use and great taste.
- Studies have shown xylitol blocks the transmission of mutans streptocci from mother to child.
Studies have shown that with regular use of Xylitol chewing gum there is a long-term effect that may reduce the risk of dental caries.
The Benefits of Xylitol - In Geriatrics:
- Holds and keeps the aging related salivary mutans at a steady level.
- Eases xerostomia caused by the intake of medications which causes a reduction of saliva in the elderly population.
Xylitol's - Low Caloric Value:
- A better alternative for keeping weight down vs traditional high calorie sugar based chewing gums
- Xylitol is an excellent low calorie sugar substitute (up to 40% less calories) due to the fact that the human body utilizes the chemical slowly and incompletely; therefore, reducing its caloric value.
Positive oral effects that have been reported are a reminerlizating effect on tooth enamel (depending on daily usage), acting as a periodontal prophylaxis and can have a compounding effect on the benefits of fluoride.