Raw Elements Eco Formula Sun Stick is formulated with the unique Organic Eco-Shield Performance Technology, and can withstand the harshest environmental conditions. Not only does this stick offer water resistant, balanced UV physical protection beyond 80 minutes, it can be applied UNDER WATER. Whether it's protecting a young child or an avid waterman's face, ECO STICK 30+ will perform. With the easy applicator, it can be worn heavy and opaque, or rubbed completely into skin. Packed with biologically active antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and extracts, it continues protecting your skin long after environmental exposures.
The Burning Facts
- UVA Rays intensity remains constant through the seasons of the year
- UV Exposure can be increased by as much as 25%, 50% & 80% from reflection off of sand, water and snow respectively.
- UVA Rays penetrate through glass windows all year round
- UVB Radiation is a high energy wave that can cause direct cellular DNA damage
- UVA Radiation is a lower energy wave that leads to longer term cellular DNA damage
- Higher elevations increase intensity of UV rays and possibly can lead to exposure of UVC radiation
- Over 90% of UV radiation hitting earth is UVA
- UVB rays cause "burning" on the skin's surface and the effects can be seen shortly after exposure. UVA rays cause a delayed tanning effect, and the effects of their cellular damage can sometimes not be seen for quite some time.
- Over 80% of UV radiation, especially UVA radiation, can penetrate cloud cover all year round
- Indoor tanning may introduce users to 15 times more radiation than that of the sun
- It is a widely accepted fact that the sun's UV rays are classified as photocarcinogenic energy (having ability to generate cancer through sun).
- Both UVA & UVB rays are responsible causes of skin cancers and other damages and aging of the skin and eyes and immunosuppression
- UV Damage is cumulative throughout your lifetime, meaning each occurrence piles on top of the previous
- Each time a person sunburns to a peel, their risk of cancer increases by 50%. People with more than 40 moles have close to 3 times the chance of skin cancers.
Sunscreens - The Disappointing Truths
- Skin cancer rates continue to climb, as does the usage of sunscreen in the US. The FDA has now allowed 30+ years to lapse without delivering updated regulations on sunscreen.
- The SPF # only refers to UVB Rays, has no correlation to UVA (yes this means that SPF 70 could be providing the equivalent to an SPF 5 in UVA protection).
- SPF 15 blocks 93.6% UVB rays; SPF 30 blocks 96.7% of UVB rays; SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays.
- Currently there is no FDA standard, or requirement for UVA protection in sunscreen in the US!
- Regardless of the product, all sunscreens are tested at 2 mg per cm2 of skin. Consumers generally apply 25% of this amount, drastically diminishing the sunscreen's protection.
- This translates to:
- SPF 100 performs as SPF 3.2
- SPF 30 performs as SPF 2.3
- SPF performs as SPF 2.0
Broad Spectrum Protection, by definition, should mean protecting against UVA and UVB Rays. Unfortunately, Broad Spectrum claim is allowed if a product blocks as little as 5% (allowing 95% through to skin) of UVA radiation. High SPF number sunscreen, without balanced UVA protection, leaves consumers in the sun for extended periods, soaking up excess amounts of dangerous UVA radiation. The Environmental Working Group (www.ewg.org) reviewed over 1500 sunscreens on the US market in 2010, and determined that only 8% even contained ingredients necessary to provide safe, effective, balanced protection. Most commercial sunscreens use up to six different chemical UV absorbers, such as Oxybenzone and Avobenzone and others. Such Chemicals are known to travel throughout human bodies, and accumulate in organs.